So, here’s the secret. If your wedding isn’t being planned by The World’s Leading Wedding Planner with a diploma in Co-ordinating Colours, and is rather more of the budget variety, the Alice in Wonderland theme could be for you. It excuses all sorts of ridiculous randomness, wonky home-made cakes, mismatching decorations and strange behaviour. In fact, it encourages it.
Here’s a few requirements to keep the Cheshire cat grinning and the Mad Hatter sipping:
2. Wonky wedding cake. Get a friend to make one and encourage her to wonk it up.
3. Top hats. The more ridiculous and ill-fitting the better.
4. Eat me, drink me signs. These can be adapted for any situation throughout your venue. Drive me, follow me, avoid me, wee inside me etc.
5. Ornate tea cups for your very own Mad Hatter’s tea party. Indeed, add a tea party flavour to your canapes with tiny sandwiches and mini scones.
6. Whimsical nonsense such as stopped clocks.
7. Nonsensical readings such as:
Twinkle, twinkle, little bat
How I wonder what you’re at!
Up above the world you fly
Like a tea-tray in the sky.
8. Hallucinogenic drugs. Then you can have all the experiences dear Alice had.
9. Roses. No need to paint them red. That’s officially When A Theme Goes Too Far.
10. Playing Cards as favours. If you do favours, which I don’t. Though if you do, that’s fine too.