Homemade wedding Cake from 2000dollarwedding
The wedding cake. Expensive and often not that tasty. Certainly not as tasty as my mum’s cherry cake or my friend Suzy’s lemon drizzle cake. So why pay some baker to create you some white marzipan encrusted monstrosity? No, this is your chance to have (drum roll)… THE ULTIMATE WEDDING CAKE BAKE OFF.
Bring on the bake-off
Not only do you avoid astronomic wedding cake costs, but you create something totally individual, collaborative and a mini-event in itself. Ask close friends and family to bake and bring along their favourite cake.For extra competitiveness pitch the bride’s family against the groom’s family. May the best bakers win.
Finally, instead of a cake cutting ceremony have The Bake Off Awards. Award prizes to all the bakers (Best Carrot Cake Award, Best Coconut Cake with Lime Buttercream Award etc.) Appropriate prizes could be a silver cake fork or an apron.
Decorate cakes with flowers
One final advantage is Cake Diversity – you end up with lots of different cakes, so guests are likely to at least like something. Here’s the top ten most requested cakes according to the New York magazine:
10. Chocolate-almond cake, chocolate ganache, and mocha buttercream
9. Banana cake and chocolate buttercream
8. Coconut cake and lime buttercream
7. Hazelnut-almond cake, chocolate ganache, and raspberries
6. White cake, lemon buttercream, and raspberries
5. Chocolate devil’s food cake, chocolate ganache, and praline buttercream
4. Lemon cake, lemon curd, and vanilla buttercream
3. Yellow butter cake and chocolate buttercream and/or chocolate ganache
2. Chocolate devil’s food cake, vanilla buttercream, and raspberries
1. Chocolate devil’s food cake and vanilla buttercream
And to avoid last minute panics, encourage your trusty bakers to bake in advance. Once the cakes are cooled wrap them in clingfilm super tight, then wrap in foil just in case, then pop them in the freezer. Then the night before just defrost, add fillings and decorate.
Bake your cakes in advance, wrap tightly in clingfilm then defrost the night before
Keep decoration simple. – There’s no need to get OTT about decorations. Some whipped cream for fillings, a little icing sugar on top, followed by a handful of berries or a flower can look marvelous.