In Decoration, DIY on February 1, 2009 at 6:09 am
Its your chance to communicate directly to your guests, so make it personal, creative or at least amusing. This will make them resent you less if they’ve travelled miles just to not get to speak to you all night.
As ever, lets focus on the more ‘frugal’ place cards:
1. Give each guest a flamboyant pre-fix. The Notorious, The Right Dishonourable, The Illustrious, The Fantastic, The Wondrous etc. It makes everyone feel good about themselves and is an ice breaker.
“So, why have they named you The Insatiable Emma Brown?”
“Because I’m a slut.”
2. Use the power of words. Paint your guest’s name on cut-out hearts made from newspaper cuttings. Perhaps using the lonely hearts section would be appropriate. Or you could cut up a book of love poems. If you make each cutting personal to the guest, so much the better.
Hearts made with newspaper and cardboard
3. Badges and medals. Sometimes it’s the little things that make a party a success.’A place card that doubles as a badge’ is such a good idea it should be trademarked. Badge makers are surprisingly inexpensive at £20 a pop. Buy here.
Make 'my name is...' badges
Also see my post on crepe paper medallions as placecards.
In DIY on January 27, 2009 at 12:04 am
Someone has to make everything, why shouldn’t it be you?
1. Make your own decorations. Even those allergic to sewing can manage bunting.
2. Make your own placenames. These, from Once Wed, are like giving all your guests a medal.
Alternatively, make placepebbles like this couple. Simply steal pebbles from beaches round the country over the coming months (I have successfully done this from Chesil Beach using an extra large anorak). Then write placenames on said pebbles with silver marker. This will give you an A+ at Placename College.
3. DIY disco. It’s what the ipod was invented for.
4. DIY bridal make-up. You probably know your face better than a make-up artist anyway, it is what greets you every morning in the mirror. And if you think you need some tips, hang around the make-up counters in department stores until you get given a make-over.
5. Become a floristry expert. Even ladies who are a little soft in the head can manage to create a simple dome-shaped rose bouquet. Get a tutorial:
6. And for the advanced credit crunch bride, grow your own flowers.